What is a Doula?
The Greek word doula means woman caregiver. A doula is a trained and experienced labor assistant who can give continued support to the mother, husband or partner. The acceptance of doulas in hospitals is growing rapidly. They are now recognized for their contributions in improving the physical outcome and emotional well-being of mothers and infants.
The Benefits of a Doula
- Recognizes birth as an experience that the mother will remember all her life
- Understands the emotional needs of a woman in labor
- Assists the woman and her partner in preparing her birth plan
- Stays by the side of the laboring woman throughout the entire labor
- Provides emotional support and physical comfort
- Facilitates communication and good decision making between partner, expectant mother and medical staff
- Darcie Hughes, Licensed Massage Therapist, Certified Kinesio Practitioner, and Doula: LMT, CKTP, CD-L
Darcie is an experienced Doula and has been practicing since receiving her Doula certification in 2003. Learn more about Darcie.
Call 607-962-0856 for more information